Base to celebrate African American Heritage Month in February
By 1st Lt. Phil Ventura, 49th Fighter Wing Public Affairs
/ Published January 29, 2007
HOLLOMAN AFB, N.M. --
An opening ceremony to formally kick off African American Black History Month is scheduled for Feb. 1 at 11 a.m. in the Whispering Sands Community Activities Center here.
The ceremony is one of many activities planned throughout the month to spread this year's Department of Defense theme, "From slavery to freedom: Africans in the Americas."
Activities are being held in a variety of venues across the base; from Bong Theater to the Chapel Annex, making it easy for Team Holloman to gain insight into the African American culture regardless of where they work.
"It's an awareness and not just for African Americans; we want to give everyone information about the culture," said Tech. Sgt. Jacqueline Massey, a member of the African American Heritage Association.
Some popular events from last year's celebration of the month, including a family movie presentation, ethnic food tasting and trivia contest are coming back this year. Other events, such as a performance by the New World Drummers and Dance Group, are new and eagerly anticipated.
"We hope folks on base support the events, learn something new and enjoy themselves," said Ms. Carolyn Peeler, who heads the heritage association and has been involved in African American Black History Month celebrations here for the past eight years.
Organizers of the event hope members of Team Holloman are able to attend at least one event held throughout the month.
"If you don't explore other cultures, you'll never know until you go and seek," Sergeant Massey said.
Scheduled Events for African American Black History Month
- Feb. 1: Opening Ceremony; presents African American Art and Inventors held at
Whispering Sands Community Center from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Feb. 15: African American food tasting at the Base Chapel Annex from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Feb. 17: Saturday Afternoon at the Movies at the Community Activities Center from noon
to 6 p.m.
- Feb. 21: Ethnic meal at Shifting Sands Dining Facility from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Feb. 22: New World Drummers and Dance Group featuring Mr. Karuna Warren at the
Bong Theater from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
- Story Time, held each Wednesday morning during the month at the Child Development Center
- Health Fair Information Booth at the Fitness Center
- Trivia Contest; pick up at the Airman and Family Readiness Center, Finance Office or Base Library