Next-generation common access card arrived

  • Published
  • By 49 FW
  • MSS
The Department of Defense (DoD) is proud to be among the first government agencies to issue the HSPD-12 compliant Federal credential--the next-generation CAC. In compliance with Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12 (HSPD-12) a convergence of logical and physical access control functions were used to create a common identification credential. The establishment of standards in the Personal Identification Verification (PIV) mandate will enhance security, increase efficiency, reduce identity fraud, and protect personal privacy.

The next-generation CAC--which is roughly the size of a standard credit card--stores 64KB of data storage and memory on a single integrated circuit chip (ICC). This CAC technology allows for rapid authentication and enhanced security for all physical and logical access.

Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) certificates embedded in the card enable cardholders to "sign" documents digitally, encrypt emails, and establish secure online network connections.

If your CAC is within 60 days of expiring, call the Military Personnel Element, Customer Service (x7278/0070) to schedule an appointment to obtain your Next-Generation CAC.
All personnel will need to provide the following:
1) Two (2) forms of Identification; both IDs must be among those listed below. One must bear a photo (e.g., passport, driver's license). A current/expired CAC is considered a valid form of ID.
2) Government ("dot" mil or gov) email address. If a work email address is not available, the card will be issued without an email certificate. Personal email addresses--such as AOL accounts--will not be accepted. If the wrong email address is entered, an individual will be required to return later to correct it.
3) Six (6) - eight (8) digits Personal Identification Number (PIN). All personnel will be asked to create a PIN that can be easily remembered. Please do not use easily traced numbers such as part of your Social Security Number (SSN), birthday, anniversary date, telephone number, or address.


1. Driver's license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address

2. ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address

3. Military dependent's ID card

4. School ID card with a photograph

5. U.S. social security card issued by the Social Security Administration (other than a card stating it is not valid for employment)

6. Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority or outlying possession of the United States bearing an official seal

7. U.S. Passport (unexpired or expired)

8. U.S. Military card or draft record

9. Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561)

10. Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570)

11. Unexpired foreign passport, with I-551 stamp or attached Form I-94 indicating unexpired employment authorization

12. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card with photograph (Form I-151 or I-551)

13. Unexpired Temporary Resident Card (Form I-688)

14. Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (Form I-688A)

15. Unexpired Reentry Permit (Form I-327)

16. Unexpired Refugee Travel Document (Form 1-571)

17. Unexpired Employment Authorization Document issued by DHS that contains a photograph Form I-688B)

18. Voter's registration card

19. Military dependent's ID card

20. U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card

21. Native American tribal document

22. Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority

23. Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (FormFS-545 or Form DS-1350)

24. Native American tribal document

25. U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)

26. ID Card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)

For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above:

1. School record or report card
2. Clinic, doctor or hospital record
3. Day-care or nursery school record

Who will get the next generation CAC?
A: Anyone currently eligible for a Common Access Card (CAC) will be issued a new HSPD-12 conformant CAC when their current CAC expires.

Will all current holders of the CAC receive the next generation CAC?
Both current and next generation CACs are valid identification cards. DoD will replace current CACs as part of the normal card renewal process. If your CAC expires and you are eligible for a new CAC, you will need to schedule an appointment with Customer Service to obtain your new CAC.

Do I have to get the next generation CAC?
Yes, the Common Access Card will be issued to more than 3 million people over a 3-year period (as old cards expire and HSPD-12 conformant infrastructure is put in place, next generation CACs will be issued).

When will I get my next generation CAC?
The timeframe for the issuance of your smart card will depend on when your current CAC expires, but the rollout officially commence in October 2006.

Will personnel or medical records be carried on the next generation CAC?
No, this information is not stored on the CAC.

Does the CAC use Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology?

Are civilians stationed within Continental United States (CONUS) going to be able to use the Commissary and Exchange now with the next generation CAC?
No. There are no privileges associated with the CAC for civilians in CONUS.

Will my Social Security number appear on the face of the card or on its media (chip, magnetic stripe, bar code)?
The Social Security number (SSN) appears only on the Geneva Conventions CACs and those cards used to facilitate medical benefits or privileges. The SSN does not appear on Civilian and Contractor identification cards. In order to verify a claimed identity, the SSN is securely stored on the chip of the card. Access to controlled systems and applications is required to interpret the data and may only be viewed after entering a PIN known only to the CAC holder.

Remember please call Military Personnel Element, Customer Service at Comm: (575) 572-7278/0070 or DSN: 572-7278/0070 to schedule your appointment.